Cease and Desist letter - A legal letter to the creditors             Click here to Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  :| |:

#Guest - Says,

I too agree you goodnatured, the harassment sometimes become intolerable.
#fireyone - Says,

I do not get their harrasment theory. People who have debt already have enough stress. Do they really think that having someone treat them like a dog is gonna get a payment. When I had one calling me who acted rude I just quit picking up the phone. It really doesn't get results.
#CMBV22 - Says,

Harrassment is illegal under the FCRA and a quick CND letter to the CA will slove that problem.
#fireyone - Says,

This could be only a tekp. fix especially if they really have a legal leg to stand on.
#goodnatured - Says,

They know that most people will not pursue legal action against them. I did not even know that legal action was possible until I started visiting these forums, they can be as rude and as obnoxios and threatning as they want to be as long as people don't do anything about it. How can people do anything about it if they don't know that they can?

It is good that we have places like this to come and learn about the laws that govern these collectors, but really most people are clueless.

#CMBV22 - Says,

While I agree with Goodnatured about the importance of knowing your rights. I disagree with fireyone, There is no legal leg that allows bullying or harrassment. Generally, letters to the FTC or your local AG will clear that problem right up.
#carol - Says,

I too think that if the CA harass you, you can file a complaint with the FTC under FDCA. You can also sent a cease and desist letter to the CA under Section 805 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act as CMBV pointed out.
#fireyone - Says,

Thats at least good to know. I just meant that if they thought they could legally collect on a debt that was within statutes you bet your booty their gonna harass you even more. What really stinks is when you do think you have rid yourself of the problem and quit answering calls they just go and sell it again and here we go all over once more. I know that I owe the debt but I would have paid it if I could. They add on all that crap interest that puts the bill into the high heavens.
#CMBV22 - Says,

fireyone
I know what you mean. I just posted a thread about a CA that called me today not only failing to mention that she was a CA but talking to me like I was a POS. Within 20 minutes of hanging up on her I had drafted a DV letter, filied officail complaints with the CT DOB, FTC and CT AG. Something tells me that they will be on their best behavior from no on Wink

#goodnatured - Says,

Sometime you have to file all the complaints right from the start, that way they know that you mean business. I have done this in the past.
#scott - Says,

Debt validation letter is what I think is one of the most powerful weapon in these cases. Because until and unless they validate your debt, they cannot force you to pay it. But still if they harass you, you can always file a complaint with the FTC and the AG. And if they validate your debt, you can always come to an agreement for settling your debt along with a PFD agreement.
#goodnatured - Says,

Great points scott, hopefully people will come here and read the posts and get these letters out to these companies.
#erb1953 - Says,

Yes, and I think the sample letter at the beginning of this post is stated well and gets to the point.
#fireyone - Says,

What I can not figure out is why the call you constanlty for like weeks and then all the sudden for a couple months you hear nothing. My phone quit ringing for a while and it started recently again. I tried the cease and desist with a couple of the other persons who use to live here's Collection agencies plus spoke to them personally about the matter so far nothing has woeked or they resell the debt and it starts again.
#erb1953 - Says,

I like the few months between when they are not calling, all that peace and quiet, huh and then you pay for it when the calls start again.
Page 2 of 12