Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 04/25/2010 - 16:39

Hello, I got married in las vegas,nv in 1982. After 1 year she left and I havent seen her since. My question is this, can I still collect my menial social security benefits? I mean, can she come back and try to get some of my benefits? Thank you.

Hi Rontiss,

Yes, she can come back and demand money from you. However, this can be done only through court proceedings. Social Security cannot be garnished as such. However, for alimony and child support purposes Social Security benefits may get garnished.



Mon, 04/26/2010 - 06:56 Permalink