Please help with my old charge off

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 07/13/2006 - 06:39

I had a charge off long ago which I never paid. I simply forgot about that. Yesterday while checking my Experian credit report online I found that the same have been reported by a CA. As a reult it has reappeared in my credit report as "charge off". What shall I do now?

Thanks in advance

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the forum.

When was the charge off first reported? According to the FCRA a debt can be reported for 7 years from the date of the original delinquency. If in your case the debt is re-aged you should immediately contact the credit bureau and ask them to remove it.


Thu, 07/13/2006 - 10:13 Permalink

Hi Harry,

Welcome onboard.

I agree to carol and Mary. Re-aging is a violation of the FCRA law. You should send a hand written mail (return receipt requested) disputing the fact with the concerned credit bureau and try to remove the same as early as possible.

Wish you all the best!


Mon, 07/17/2006 - 09:07 Permalink