Inter Next Technologies, Inc., Internet Marketing Services, Reno, NV
Call (Toll Free)
Community Area
Get FREE Counseling


Helpful Resources
Popular Discussions
Creditmagic Twitter
Credit on Facebook

Leaving the country with debt

Post reply  Start a topic
Author Message
Print this topic
Invite a friend
Email this topic
  Bookmark online
Add to
Add to YahooMyWeb

Posted on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:29 am  

Hi Lenny
As far as I know, once you leave the Country, the credit laws of that country will not apply to another country. Moreover, since defaulting on your credit is not a criminal offense, I don't think that the International criminal law will be applicable in tracing you. But if you come back, there is every possibility that the creditor can sue you.

Subject: loun
Posted on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:06 am  

if i leave country with loun,credit cart,visa cart than after what they can do?they can came to back our my country?also i am in not urop

Joined: 11 May 2009
rachael's page
Posts: 233

6576 Magic Points

Posted on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:06 am  

Hi sunny,

You cannot get rid of your debts by leaving the country. If your creditors are able to trace you, they may garnish your wages or bank accounts. The creditors can also sue you for non-payment of debts. However, in any of the above situations the credit laws of the state where the debt was incurred, will apply.

I would suggest that you pay off your debts, before your leave the country. You can at least try to settle the debts, if you cannot afford to pay down in full. Your debt amount will keep increasing because of the accrued interests. So it will be better, if you pay it off as soon as possible.
Looking forward to a debt-free life.

Subject: child suport newzealand
Posted on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 am  

My brother is getting married in australia,and is paying for myself,mum and dad to go over for it.i owe child suport.inland revenue are giving me the run around,by not telling me if i can leave the country to attend..could you help me out with a bit of insight to my problem..thanks

Joined: 26 Feb 2008
fireyone's page
Posts: 4246

132 Magic Points

Posted on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:38 pm  

I am unsure of the New Zealand laws on owing child support but can they really keep you from going out of country for a wedding? Is there an office you can visit and see what the true rules are for leaving the country if you owe child support? Owing child support is like owing taxes and the rules that apply to that are more than likely really different than the ones that apply to credit card debt.

Subject: What happens if you leave australia and come to England?
Posted on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:49 pm  

hey, just trying to get my head around this... I am currently living in England and have unpaid debts in australia approximately $8000-10000. I made an attempt to sort it out last time I was back but ran out of time as I was coming back to live permanently in the uk with my husband. My debts there have still not been sorted out and I'm worried that when i go back to visit I will be stopped at the airport.. is this true? And does it wipe clean after 7 years?

Joined: 26 Feb 2008
fireyone's page
Posts: 4246

132 Magic Points

Posted on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 pm  

Hello Prang,
I am unsure of how debts overseas work. I know here in the United States that there is a statute of limitations on collecting credit card debt. It varies by state on how many years. If the SOL is 4 then a company can not come back to sue you and legally win. It does stay on your credit report for 7 years but after that it falls off or can be disputed and removed.
You may have to look into how these things work in your country. Gppd Luck
silly when younger

Subject: stuck in customs?
Posted on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm  

Hi, i'm Australian currently living in NZ, i have debt in Australia that has been un-paid since my last visit last year, which i have not been contacted about as yet. i'm heading back and want to know if they can stop me at the airport when I want to return back to NZ?
Mary Ann

Subject: Default
Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm  

I moved to another country.
Due to unexpected expenses, I missed two months of credit card payments.
As soon as possible, I contacted a debt consolidation agency to arrange for repayment.
My debt was $15000.
In the following eighteen months, I paid $7000.00.
Of this two thirds went to interest. It would take four more years to pay the debt. This is too much!

So, I cancelled the arrangement.

My only income is SS and a pension.

I do not plan to return to the United States to live.

I have begun to receive mail from credit agencies regarding this.
They cannot contact me directly.
Should I respond to them, or ignore them?
andreas shizzzzem

Subject: if i leave spain to go back to england
Posted on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:19 pm  

if i leave spain to go back to england and i owe 4000 will i be tracked down and have to pay that money... what should i do if i carnt afford to stay here anymore
as before

Subject: what do i do
Posted on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:51 pm  

im in spain and i have a debt of around 4000 k i have just lost my job and i carnt afford to go back to the uk as i have no money what so ever... i am slowly getting deeper and deeper into debt .. but i carnt afford to go back to the uk.. do i get more into debt and run to the uk or aus... i really dont no what to do i have been looking for help but just seem to find people that want to help me get into more debt what is the best thing to do
john doe

Subject: debt problems
Posted on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:42 pm  

i am thinking of leaving the country to evade my debt problem i owe approx £18.000.00. have i a chance of getting away with it

Joined: 03 Nov 2007
goodnatured's page
Posts: 3931

541 Magic Points

Posted on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:24 am  

You many end up with judgements against you if you are not here to recieve them when creditors sue if they choose too.

Subject: debts in Australia (and all countries!)
Posted on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 am  


You should just pay what you owe! How can you use someone else's money and decide not to pay, leave the country and sleep at night-what is wrong with you all????? In Australia, the statute of limitations on a debt which has been filed with regulators is 12 years. If you have left, don't come back! You don't deserve to live here, no matter what sad story you think you have. You owe a debt to someone. Pay it!

Posted on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 pm  

they can't chase you if you live and have citizenship in another country. if u were to do a credit on ur country of citizenship, the debt won't show up since it would be from a different country.

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Page 3 of 6

Delete this topic Move this topic Lock this topic Split this topic 

Page loaded in 0.091 seconds.