Submitted by pesos144 on Tue, 04/14/2009 - 05:32

how do i remove a negative file from my report that i didnt pay off in full...the account is still on my credit report and is closed...and is charged off...but is still there....does anybody have a sample latter or any advice for this situation...its much appreciated ...thx

Hi pesos144

Welcome to our forum.

You can't remove your negative files from you report because all record maintainer keeping your record on the your history. For take actions on your future activities like Loan,Credits. It will directly effect on your credit score.


Tue, 04/14/2009 - 06:07 Permalink

If you have not yet paid the debt in full, you can negotiate with the creditor for pay for deletion agreement so that as soon as you pay off the debt in full, the negative item gets removed from your report. But since your account has already been charged off, I don't think it can be removed from your credit report before seven years.

Tue, 04/14/2009 - 09:55 Permalink

I think a Judgement stays on your recoerd for 7 years ( please correct me if I'm wrong, concerning a Judgment). However....yes...just keep paying on other debts you may have. The 'good' debts will out weight the 'negative' ones. Hope this makes sense.

Tue, 04/14/2009 - 10:29 Permalink

That's a good question? Will a lender negotiate a pay for delete for an account that is charged off?

I would have to say that if the lender has not sold that debt to a collection agency than you may still have a chance. It wouldn't hurt to atleast try. Just make sure that if you make a payment that you have something in writing from them stating that they will delete that item.

Tue, 04/14/2009 - 22:49 Permalink

As far as I know charged off listing in your credit report cannot be removed if it has been sold off to a collection agency. But if it is still with the original creditor you can negotiate for a PFD agreement and remove the charge off from your credit report. Only OC can remove a charge off listing. However, if the CA has also listed their name against the debt in your credit report along with the OC, you can definitely get the CA listing removed through PFD with the CA.

Wed, 04/15/2009 - 07:26 Permalink

Sorry BDME but anyone can learn how to clean up their credit right here on these forums. There's really no need to email anyone...

Fri, 04/17/2009 - 01:35 Permalink

Cleaning up your credit report of any negative items is not a very difficult task. All that is needed to clean your report is patience. You can directly dispute delinquent accounts with the credit bureaus and the bureaus will verify it with your creditors and remove it from your report if the listing is not correct. To remove any hard inquiry from your report, you should send letters to the inquirers asking them either to verify your authorization or remove the inquiry.

Fri, 04/17/2009 - 06:03 Permalink
Jack (not verified)

There are literally hundreds of credit repair websites and a lot of them try to guarantee success but the reality is most of them are just a waste of money. They use methods of repairing your credit you can do yourself if you simply google credit repair templates. Their process is very lengthy and requires months and even years to get a lot of things removed and sometimes the bad marks can come back as some companies are very persistent, especially if you still owe them money.

The only guaranteed method to repair your credit is to pay off the old bills and get your derogatory balances to $0. "Well that isn't very helpful" is probably what you are saying. Since none of us just have cash laying around to do that there are other things you can do that are guaranteed to increase your FICO score practically overnight and start rebuilding your credit.

It's actually very simple. Sign up for Millennium Secured Credit Card and send them $300. Buy $90 worth of groceries on it and make the payments. Keep the balance under $90. Then sign up for and get a $10,000 unsecured credit card, buy something and make the payments. Do a google search for USA Shopping Club and sign up with them for $12,500 unsecured credit card buy something and make the payments, Eclub USA and get your $3,500 credit card and finally Horizon Gold and get your $500 credit card.

Once all of these companies report to the credit bureaus you are going to see an immediate increase in your FICO score. Guaranteed. Then you can work on getting the bad marks paid off and removed. It's much easier to get them permanently deleted if you don't owe them any more money.

Tue, 05/26/2009 - 18:03 Permalink

I had gone through the same thing and I thought it would be removed. But as Mary stated, contact the creditor for a deletion agreement and it should take care of it. Request something in writing as well, not just a phone call.

Sun, 06/28/2009 - 18:51 Permalink
lisa (not verified)

Does anybody know if loans from a university will come off your credit report in 7 years as well?

Sat, 10/17/2009 - 13:07 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

tazsl, it is 7.5 years from date of last activity, not from when it was opened. some reports (I think experian?) will put the 'fall off' date on there. If it is past that date then write to the CRA and ask that it be removed for that reason. There is probably a sample letter around somewhere....

Tue, 01/12/2010 - 23:30 Permalink
sp (not verified)

My acct went to CA and I paid the acct for an settlement amt. How do I go about getting the item removed . On my credit report it is being report being paid for settled amount

Wed, 01/13/2010 - 01:40 Permalink

Hi sp,

If your account went to collections, and you paid it as settled, then your account should reflect as "Paid as settled". Moreover, if you have not achieved a "Pay for delete agreement" with the collection agency (CA), your report will reflect the details of your delinquency. This is negative reporting.

However, as you you have paid off the settled amount, and it is being reflected on your report, it won't have much of a negative effect on your credit score. There is no need to remove the listing from your report, and there is no way you can remove the delinquency details.

Tue, 02/16/2010 - 11:37 Permalink