Sample dispute letter to remove credit report listing

Submitted by Richard on Fri, 04/04/2008 - 10:40

Your full Name:
Your permanent address:
Present contact number:

Name of credit reporting agency
Address of credit reporting agency

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to dispute some inaccurate information I have discovered on my credit report. The items I believe to be incorrect are listed below. I am also including a copy of my credit report with the disputed information highlighted.

  • Creditor name and account number
  • Description of the item
  • Item(s) and an explanation of what you want the credit bureau to do with the information, along with valid proof to support your claim.

In compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Agency (FCRA), I request that you investigate this matter and update my credit report accordingly.

If your investigation validates the listing, please provide me with an explanation if the procedure you used to validate the listing within 15 business days of your completion of the investigation, as per the FCRA. I also request that you send me a copy of the information you gathered as a result of the investigation.

If your investigation shows this listing to erroneous, please update my credit report and send me a copy of my updated credit report.


Your signature
Your name

Sven (not verified)

Ok, I used the "Dispute letter with the bureau" letter. I still don't know how this would work, though.

What can I do if that fails?

Sat, 06/13/2009 - 00:26 Permalink
I'm confused (not verified)

So I'm very new at this. I'm to go tot the credit reporting agency example: Transunion and mail them the dispute? How would one get the address to any of the three reporting agencies?

Thu, 08/13/2009 - 19:59 Permalink

Optimist, that was a very confusing post. And mr im so confused I suggest you PM firang, He or She seems to know what they are talking about! Good luck

Thu, 08/27/2009 - 02:24 Permalink

I have one acct that was paid with a promise to delete while I was recovering from cancer. The acct is ten yrs old, and citibank is still trying to collect on a paid acct. They keep selling them to other collection agencys. So never throw away your paid bills or rcpts . You may need them again. Good luck I have been scanning my bills onto a dvd for future proof.

Sat, 11/07/2009 - 03:58 Permalink

Hi Ruthie,

I agree with Ruthie. Whenever you make any kind of transaction or deal with the creditor or collection agency always retain the proofs of those dealings. In this way they cannot harass you in future. I think what Ruthie is doing is quite clever. Let me see if I can also do something like this to preserve the documents.

Fri, 11/27/2009 - 06:10 Permalink

Goodnatured, I would really reconsider and try disputing with accounts with the credit bureaus again. If the accounts come back verified, then send a letter to the bureaus requesting the method that they utilized to verify your account as well as the name, address and telephone number of the person who verified your account. The bureaus then have 15 days to get back to you with that information. If they fail to do so, they must delete the account! I am sure that you should see some results after your second letter. If they still "verify" after the second letter, send a dispute straight to the company/collection agency reporting the account. Pending the results, which mostly likely will result in a deletion, send that documentation ( if they say you do not owe or that they are going to delete from your credit report) to the bureau requesting that they delete the item from your account. What most people don't understand is that if you just wait the 7 years for the account to fall off, they fall off but if you ever go for a mortgage loan over 150,000 dollars the mortgage company may pull a FULL FACTA which discloses items that "just fall off". If you are interested let me know and I will send you a letter that should help do the trick. FREE OF CHARGE!!! NO CHARGE!!! I AM HERE TO HELP!!! NO FEES!!!

Tue, 12/29/2009 - 00:07 Permalink

Be advised, I have seen several cases where clients wait and wait thinking the account will fall off and it DOES! However! The smart creditor will then submit documents to get a JUDGMENT against you. This is happening more and more than ever before. Now that you have a judgment, the public record will remain for up to 10 years and they have more recourse. So not always is it smart to just wait and hope everything will clear up.

Wed, 03/31/2010 - 07:04 Permalink

it sounds trivial but i am having a hard time reading my credit report...i just realized that a negative listing is listed twice, the balance is wrong and they payment amount is much is this affecting my credit? this is for a student loan that i defaulted on and i am now in the process of taking it out of default throught a loan rehabilitation program, once i pay it off it will come off my credit report...

Fri, 06/25/2010 - 00:54 Permalink

by reading the sample letters on disputing debts and listings i see that of course i should include my name and adress, is there anything else i should include in my letter? ssn #? DOB ?

Fri, 06/25/2010 - 01:46 Permalink


I don't think that you need not give your social security number in the dispute letter to the credit bureaus as such. If they ask for it you may have to provide. The date of birth is not required too. You will have to provide the account name and number.



Thu, 07/01/2010 - 12:24 Permalink

I read somewhere that it wouldn't be a good idea to send evidence such as cancelled checks or proof of payments to the credit bureaus. I think it said something to the effect that we should not do the work for them and not make it easier for them to prove whatever the issue is...

Sat, 07/03/2010 - 00:51 Permalink
Barbara_Elena (not verified)

Hi vfsalinas05,

Yes, but while writing your dispute letter, you must explain in the letter why you are writing to the credit reporting bureaus.

You must explain to the credit bureaus, that you are writing to them because you dispute certain information on your credit report, you want an investigation on the inaccurate information and want the inaccurate information removed.

Sat, 07/10/2010 - 05:26 Permalink
Nohope (not verified)

I have manage to pay all bad debts, but some still reflects on my record. The answers I received is that it will reflect for 2 years. What I can not understand why some is removed before 2 years. Who decide to remove it from my record.

Tue, 07/20/2010 - 15:36 Permalink

Hi Nohope,

Generally items stay on your credit report for 7 years. The items which feel off your credit report must have crossed the 7 years bar. The credit bureaus compile your credit report, and they are the one who add and remove items from your report as reported by the creditors, and collection agencies.



Mon, 07/26/2010 - 12:33 Permalink

Maybe I'll get a good answer sooner than later if I keep posting this question. I use Lexington Law Firm to repair my credit and they have sent debt validation letters on my behalf the creditors have not sent me any response in over 60 days and Lexington only knows what I tell them. So I called today and told them that I have not received any response from the creditors. They then tell me to send my updated reports so they can take a stronger approach. Now if the creditors don't respond isn't the only thing thing have to do send a dispute to the cb's telling them the collection agency hasn't responded and request the item be removed? I can send the letters myself but I'm afraid that if I end up having to pay the debts on the older accounts it will reset the SOL. Also I afraid if I don't pay it will just be sold and pop up again later causing more problems. HELP somebody please give me some good advice should I keep the firm or do it myself?

Tue, 07/27/2010 - 01:52 Permalink

I have asked for both by certified mail and phone, and have gotten no response. I am wondering if maybe these credit reporting agencies are so connected with these bad collection agencies that they falsify records. I have several credit reports in my hand from the last year and they keep changing the date of first delinquency to make there records valid. I have been fighting two agencies both of which have reports on file that are over 7 years old. I had cancer back in 2003 and had to leave my homestate. I had ins. on all my accts and they were paid. They are over 7 years old, but the collection agencies keep reporting otherwise. Fornutely for me my next step is the Atty. Generals office, and then I will sue both these companies and the credit reporting agencies for refusal to validate my reports. I will send them one more letter in conjunction with the file I am sending to the Atty. Generals office. My question is , is there a faster way? I cannot get a home because of the two who are reporting chargeoffs on my credit report?? Whats next??? Thanks, Ruthie

Tue, 07/27/2010 - 04:25 Permalink

Let me get this right. If I know the debt is mine and unpaid--then I should just pay it off old or not because it's a chance that it could be sold and reported again or should I just send PFD letters to attempt getting a removal. What I get from this forum is if I know the debt is owed I should just pay it right?

Tue, 07/27/2010 - 04:37 Permalink

Who can I contact about the horrible way our three major credit reporting agencies are treating people??I have snet all the proof they need to remove these inaccuracies, but they still decide to go with the collection agencies. No one is willing to validate these debts. What kind of an Attorney do I contact to sue these people? I have asked for validation, removal and the exact way they validate these disputes. I have so far recieved nothing. Now, a company called Asset Management , llc is calling my sons home and telling him about my debts. Can they legally do this?? Thanks Ruthie

Tue, 07/27/2010 - 04:42 Permalink

Hi Jperry:

I have answered to your query at . As for

Let me get this right. If I know the debt is mine and unpaid--then I should just pay it off old or not because it's a chance that it could be sold and reported again or should I just send PFD letters to attempt getting a removal. What I get from this forum is if I know the debt is owed I should just pay it right?

I am a bit confused. Can you please explain a bit more?


they keep changing the date of first delinquency to make there records valid.

Can I know if this they is a collection agnecy? The collection agency can't change the date of delinquency as such. This is illegal reaging of debt, and you should complain about this to the Federal Trade Commission. You should also file disputes with the credit bureaus.

to remove the wrong listings follow the 1-2 punch. In this you are required to send debt validation letters to the collection agencies through certified mail, requesting a return receipt. After you get back the return receipt, you are required to immediately send dispute letters to the credit bureaus.

As a result the collection agencies are put in a time crunch. The credit bureaus notify the collection agencies to verify the debt within 30 days of your filing dispute with them. Now, the collection agency will have to validate the debt with you before they can verify it with the credit bureaus. If they fail to verify the debt within 30 days, the item will get removed from your credit report by the credit bureaus.



Tue, 07/27/2010 - 12:04 Permalink

Aaron, what I am saying is I have been going through Lexington Law Firm as I stated before and while I did get a few items removed back in Feb. nothing has been removed as of late. I called Lexington yesterday and they told me that I have to send them updated credit reports that I receive from the bureaus, but I never do. Now when I went to the EQ website to dispute some hard pulls I seen that EQ has been doing a lot of soft pulls I guess based on the dispute letters being sent out on my behalf. At this point I have decided to save my $80 per month and do the credit repair myself. What the point was is if I do try doing it myself with first sending PFD letters for accounts I know that's mine and DV letters for old accounts that I know that's mine. If I end up having to pay because the OC or CA don't agree to a PFD will the 7 years reset because I pay the debt off? Most of the negative reporting on my credit report is from a CA. So my thought was even if most are due to fall off in 3-5 years. I didn't want to take the chance of not paying them and them being sold to another CA and posted for another 7 years or sued. What should I do not pay them and let them fall off or pay them to avoid further problems. My goal is to build a 700+ credit score and I'm around 610 now with all current positive credit. I just felt getting the negative accounts taken care of would help my case instead of hoping they fall off and stay of being unpaid. I read plenty post but yet remain confused because so much different advice is being given.

Tue, 07/27/2010 - 12:50 Permalink

Hi Jperry,

If I end up having to pay because the OC or CA don't agree to a PFD will the 7 years reset because I pay the debt off?

Yes, the 7 year period will restart. However, once you pay off, the account will be reported as "Paid". Even if the 7 year period restarts, it is better to pay off the debts.



Wed, 07/28/2010 - 08:49 Permalink

So truly it's not a good thing to let things fall off in 7 years because it's no guarantee it won't be sold right before the SOL? Thanks for all the info! I sent 2 PFD letters out yesterday for the first on accounts less than $60 a piece to get some practice and see how it goes. I did send them certified mail and have officially started the process of repairing my own credit. I only have 8 negative items to take care of including 1 judgment.

Wed, 07/28/2010 - 13:15 Permalink

Hi Jperry,

The 7 years ans Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt are two very different aspects. Items get listed on your credit report for 7 years. Generally people call this as the SOL on item reporting. On the other hand the SOL on debt is the time period within which the creditor can sue you for non payment of the dues.

If the debt is sold off, neither of this restart. However, if you make payments, then both restarts.



Fri, 07/30/2010 - 10:18 Permalink

Aaron appreciate the valuable info, but this is where I get very confused. When I here that paying your debts off are better than having them unpaid and then I here paying off certain old debts can actually hurt your credit. Which is it and how do I know if it's better to pay off the debts or leave the debt alone because it might hurt my credit more paying it off?

Fri, 07/30/2010 - 13:57 Permalink

Hi Jperry,

Which is it and how do I know if it's better to pay off the debts or leave the debt alone because it might hurt my credit more paying it off?

Generally, paying off on old collections can hurt your credit. When you make payments on old accounts, the negatives come to the present. This as a result hurts your score. However, if you pay off all your debts, and maintain ontime payments on current accounts, your score will eventually increase.



Sat, 07/31/2010 - 11:02 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

Ok that's what I hear and don't know if I should pay these accounts that are 3-4 years old, just pay half of the accounts off, or just leave them alone and focus on current credit. I have 8 negative items from 2-4 years old and I was thinking of paying off all of them or 85% of them to avoid harassment from collection agencies. I wouldn't want the hardwork that I've put in to go to waste at this point by paying off all the old debt and having my score drop big time. Which way should I go?

Sat, 07/31/2010 - 12:42 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

Also take in mind that the SOL here Ohio is 15 years.

Sat, 07/31/2010 - 14:31 Permalink


It is always better to pay off your debt if possible. You can atleast try the "Pay for deletion" (PFD) process. Though all may not agree to PFD. some may.



Mon, 08/02/2010 - 11:40 Permalink
guitartech (not verified)

I attended a for profit junior college in 1989/90 in Fla. on a student loan.
They lost their accreditation and went out of business and my credit couldn't transfer. I forgot all about it and went on with life.

Now 20 years later (!) I have a collection agency coming after me for an ASTRONOMICAL amount of money due to "penalty and interest" that have allegedly accrued.
I have 30 days to respond.
Naturally, I dispute the validity and will respond.

I've read and copied the dispute letters and will start that process today.
Are there any other steps I can/should take in this?

Wed, 08/18/2010 - 15:36 Permalink

Hi guitartech,

Please let me know if this student loan is a Federal one or private? Because, if this is a Federal Student Loan the Statute of Limitations won't apply on the loan.



Thu, 08/19/2010 - 09:13 Permalink
guitartech (not verified)

Attn: Aaron

I apologize if my earlier post shows up and this ends up being a duplicate.Evidently I can't post links?..

Apparently I don't understand how this forum works. I posted a reply to your question Re: if my loan was fed. or not.
Yes, it is apparently owed to the D.O.E. and I know there is no SOL.

My point is that the school lost accreditation..maybe even never WAS accredited. Some campus were..The main ones..and the school evidently used that as a blanket endorsement to claim they were all "accredited".
They closed/went out of business and no one knows where transcripts are.
They made claims of "lifetime job placement assistance". hahaha..

They were guilty of using pro sales people to administer the loan programs which I understand is illegal, they have judgments against them where they had to refund money to the fed. govt.,

• Phillips Colleges, Inc. (PCI), located in Gulfport, Miss., was a privately held corporation
wholly owned by one individual. From 1987 to 1989, PCI expanded
from 27 schools to 91 schools, becoming the largest chain of proprietary schools
in the country, receiving over $200 million annually in student financial assistance
funds. The OIG performed at least nine separate audits, inspections or investigations
at PCI schools from 1989 to1992, and each uncovered serious integrity
issues, such as untimely student refunds and ineligible programs. Due to the pattern
of deficiencies, we performed an audit of the PCI corporate headquarters and
identified $155 million of student financial assistance funds inappropriately
received by PCI schools due to the violation of the statutorily prohibited use of
commissioned salespersons. In addition, other serious deficiencies were noted in
the corporate and school audits and inspections. Due to the $155 million liability
and the Department’s efforts to resolve the serious problems at PCI, all of its 91
schools eventually were closed or sold, and the corporation was dissolved

I didn't graduate, my credits weren't transferrable.

How should I proceed?

Thu, 08/19/2010 - 14:41 Permalink

Hi guitartech,

No your answer to my post did not show up :) If the school was found guilty then this case should be handled very differently. I think you should consult an attorney. This is quite a complex situation.

Posting your answers in this forum is quite easy. I think there was some server problem, and so your post did not show up :)



Fri, 08/20/2010 - 10:03 Permalink

Hi guitartech,

To receive federal student aid, you must meet the following criteria:

* You should be a US citizen or a valid noncitizen
* You should have a valid Social Security Number except for residents of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.
* Your age should be from 18 to 25 years.
* You should have a high school diploma or any certified course approved by the US Department of Education.
* You should not have any drug conviction.

Last, but not the least, you should be a regular student in a school that participates in the federal student aid programs.

Fri, 08/20/2010 - 10:32 Permalink
guitartech (not verified)

Thanks, Aaron.
I'm going to send a letter to dispute the and deny the whole thing.
I can't afford an atty. anyway.
I found this in my searches, though:

If students don't transfer or complete studies and they've received a federally subsidized loan, they may be eligible to have the loan discharged. Students should contact their lender or the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-4-FEDAID or obtain more information, including a loan-discharge application, online at http: // California residents who paid their tuition with private loans or cash can request compensation from California's Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF)."

So I suppose I'll try that route also.

Amanda, thanks for the info.
All those guidelines say "should"..that's an indefinite word which could be easily be manipulated.

For example, I was older than 25 when I got the student loan. Does that mean it was improperly administered?

I can't really contest anything based on what they (or I) think "should" be the criteria.
Anything else anyone can add would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck.

Fri, 08/20/2010 - 12:16 Permalink

Hi guitartech,

Yes, I think you should go forward and dispute. Good find indeed. This is going to help many. Thanks for posting the information.


Fri, 08/20/2010 - 12:54 Permalink
Sello Michael Toli (not verified)

Two to three months ago my lawyer, Mr.Pieter Henning forwarded you with the rescinded letter from the Court following the application he made to remove my name from the ITC,until now after more that 5-6 weeks my name is still being listed.ID no:6506085465086.please advice me what to do.

Thu, 12/02/2010 - 08:59 Permalink
xboxrunner (not verified)

I'm considering sending this... what do you think?


CACV of Colorado, L.L.C.,

Date: 5/14/2011

Re: Account Number xxx
Case Number xxx

Dear Account Representative of CACV of Colorado, L.L.C.,
I'm writing you regarding the alleged debt associated with account number: xxxxxx. The alleged debt was first brought to my attention when I discovered that my savings account had been frozen and money withdrawn. I further found that a default judgment in xxxxx County Superior Court had been granted against me in absentia without my knowledge and without proper/good service. After receiving documents pertaining to the alleged debt, the amount owed contained fees and additions that appear in violation of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act 15 USC 1692f § 808 (1). Furthermore as this is the first contact I've had with your company, I have not received any debt verification pursuant to FDCPA 15 USC 1692g § 809 (a). I' am considering filing complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, the California State Attorney General's Office, and the California Department of Consumer Affairs. I' am also considering filing a lawsuit to address these violations in federal court. These predatory practices have led to multiple class-action lawsuits against your company according to court records. However, I' am open to a settlement on the following terms. Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment or acceptance of the debt, as I have not received any verification of the debt. Nor is this a promise to pay and is not a payment agreement unless you provide a response as detailed below. I am aware that your company has the ability to report this debt to the credit bureaus as you deem necessary. Furthermore, you have the ability to change the listing since you are the information furnisher. I am willing to pay $XXX as settlement for this debt in return for your agreement to change the status of the judgment to settled and remove all information regarding this debt from the credit reporting agencies within fifteen calendar days of payment. If you agree to the terms, I will send certified payment in the amount of $XXX payable to CACV of Colorado, L.L.C. in exchange to have all information related to this debt removed from all of my credit files. If you accept this offer, you also agree not to discuss the offer with any third-party, excluding the original creditor. If you accept the offer, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead agreeing to the terms. This letter should be signed by an authorized agent of CACV of Colorado, L.L.C.. The letter will be treated as a contract and subject to the laws of my state. If I do not receive your postmarked response within fifteen days, I will withdraw the offer and request full verification of this debt.
Please forward your agreement to the address listed above.

Sincerely, XXxxxx

Sat, 05/14/2011 - 16:12 Permalink
thistleonora (not verified)

get with confident for more

Fri, 08/05/2011 - 18:09 Permalink
EVELYN WITHERS (not verified)


Fri, 06/29/2012 - 15:13 Permalink
Nancy59 (not verified)

I know a judgment stays on a credit report for 7you years nut when you move from one county to another county and the judgement is transferred to that county does the credit report time start all over?

Fri, 02/08/2013 - 10:04 Permalink
Nancy59 (not verified)

I know a judgment stays on a credit report for 7you years nut when you move from one county to another county and the judgement is transferred to that county does the credit report time start all over?

Fri, 02/08/2013 - 10:06 Permalink
Mary DiPonzio (not verified)

Why this account has not been removed from credit report.

Tue, 06/11/2013 - 20:40 Permalink
Alvon L Williams (not verified)

I am requesting that you remove your information from my credit report I've filed bankruptcy and had a final discharge on all debts in may of 2013 in the bankruptcy court in columbus ohio

Sun, 06/16/2013 - 01:36 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

Well you have mentioned a great concept of this, it is very useful for me, Thanks for sharing it.

Mon, 06/17/2013 - 11:30 Permalink