Inter Next Technologies, Inc., Internet Marketing Services, Reno, NV
Call (Toll Free)
Community Area
Get FREE Counseling


Helpful Resources
Popular Discussions
Creditmagic Twitter
Credit on Facebook

KCA for a phone bill

Post reply  Start a topic
Author Message
Print this topic
Invite a friend
Email this topic
  Bookmark online
Add to
Add to YahooMyWeb

Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Taffy's page
Posts: 28

1337 Magic Points

Subject: KCA for a phone bill
Posted on Sun May 03, 2009 2:48 pm  

Hello all,

I sent a DV letter (one from this site) to KCA. They sent back to a me a copy of a phone bill with a cover letter that said

To whom it may concern
Enclosed please find a copy of the "request itemized statement".

Your immediate attention is required in this matter.

If further assistance is required, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you ( not signed by anyone) to the left of the letter was hand written KCA # 4dd 999

None of the 3 copies I requested were sent back to me. I receive a copy of a phone bill that you get from a phone company. no history, no Authorization, no agreement. this phone company is Windstream. so is this validation???????? Phone bill amount is $99.98 Now here is the funny.

I called KCA when I first got my credit report and asked them what this is for they stated a Windstream phone bill. I asked if I owed this would I be able to have an account with Windstream or get one set up and they stated until this is paid you will not be able to get service from this company............... I was talking to them from my home phone which is Windstream and they did not ask me (when i called to have sevice set up) about any past bill and I was not require to pay a deposit and Windstream credited me on all my installation fees.
So do I send this info received to the Credit Bureau and ask them to take this off. Also they did not registered their letter to me.

Please let me know what you think. I am ready to send a letter to the Bureau's to get it removed.

Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Joined: 26 Feb 2008
fireyone's page
Posts: 4246

130 Magic Points

Posted on Sun May 03, 2009 2:56 pm  

I would call windstream themselves and inquire about the bill. Alot of companies and hospitols will hire out collection agencies that work for them. They company (windstream) may still own your old account and if you work out payment arrangements they may take the mark off your credit.
I would also ask Winstream if this company is employed by them and whom oens the debt now. If they did indeed sell the debt to the collectgion agency you need to make sure they validate the debt by showing they own the debt. A copy if the bill is not proper debt validation. they need to produce the orignal signed contract. So start with ytour phone company by calling and asking some questions. I would pay it if the original company still holds the debt. It looks bad on your report and to future creditors if you can not pay a utility bill. The figure if you can not pay your regular monthly bills then yolu would not pay back anything they len t. It would be in your best interest.


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
ensurepune's page
Posts: 99

501 Magic Points

Posted on Sun May 03, 2009 3:28 pm  

calling them is a good option, but i think the bill will suffice for the credit bureau purpose.As most of the computer generated papers do not require signatures. it could be one of the case. Arrow

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
Page 1 of 1

Delete this topic Move this topic Lock this topic Split this topic 

Page loaded in 0.064 seconds.