$4.10 balance is now $197.81...help!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/21/2010 - 17:08

First of all, thanks for reading! I need some advice haha

I've recently left a branch of the armed forces and found some bills prior to my service. I am currently out of the US.

The bills were dated 3 years ago with a balance of $4.10 for something that I can't recall.. The CA asked me to write them to get the info.

Basically I left the country in August and the statement arrived in September.

I called the CA and they say they can't respond to any requests for information from abroad and I need a US address.

At this point, I would like to dispute the accrued late fees as the original card agreement states that a balance under $15 is not charged a fee. However, I'm seeing a fee of 10$ every month.

If I pay off the debt, will it just show as paid in full? Is it worth settling or asking for a pay for delete? What is the best option here?

It doesn't feel right paying 200 dollars for what was 4 dollars originally.


Aaron (not verified)

Hello hf,

First ask the concerned company to mail you the details of the bill. If you think after checking the bill that their claim is authentic then I believe it is better to pay the bill. Then you can send a debt validation letter. Send this by certified mail to keep proof that you have asked for a debt validation.

If they fail to provide you with proper validation within the stipulated time you are no longer liable to pay the debt as per FDCPA.

And yes, you can ask them to either mail you all these or you can use some relative's address for their correspondence. I hope this helps.



Fri, 01/22/2010 - 07:11 Permalink

Are you in the armed forces? there may be some protection for you. I would otherwise try to arrange some kind of mail forwarding. It seems that they are trying avoid sending you validation. I would get a DV letter sent .

who is the OC? is it a store card?

Fri, 01/22/2010 - 10:51 Permalink
hf (not verified)

Yes, the OC is a clothing-brand.

Is it possible to dispute the late fee with the CRA even though the balance may be valid? Or should I take this up with the CA?

Fri, 01/22/2010 - 11:53 Permalink

the bank running this card is probably under the OTS. I would DV the CA. and Send a complaint to the ots with a copy of the original agreement and statements.

Contact the OTS Consumer Response Center to reach a dedicated consumer affairs spec.
Office of Thrift Supervision
1700 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20552
Phone: 1 (800) 842-6929
TTY: 1 (800) 877-8339
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Eastern Standard Time
Fax: (202) 906-7342
E-mail: "consumer.complaint@ots.treas.gov"

Fri, 01/22/2010 - 12:54 Permalink
Linh (not verified)

If you can pay off the debt, why file for bankruptcy? What makes you think you will quilfay?Although bankruptcy has become a calk-walk for many, the reform act of 2005 has addressed some of these problems.You have to list all assets and liablities in detail to file. If you lie, your bankruptcy will be dismissed and you can be charged with a criminal offense.Because of a recent rash of fradulent bankruptcy filling, the justice department has created a special team to look into suspected filings and it has been sucessful in prosecuting many fradulent filers so far.

Sat, 09/29/2012 - 12:56 Permalink