Can disputing a possibly accurate entry be harmful?

Submitted by SeanChuck on Thu, 01/08/2009 - 04:48

Hello again!

Here is my situation...
I have some sort of potentially negative entry on my report from a medical establishment. It is quite possible that the information is accurate, but I have no recollection of this bill. It is not necessarily considered a "negative account" since there is no payment agreement, it is only in collections.

So my question is:
Is it possible to have any negative consequences from disputing this with all three of the credit reporting bureaus?
I have read some sources that say it can't hurt and that it could be removed if it is not confirmed in a timely manner; even if it is accurate.
I also have read that it is illegal to dispute accurate information and it should not be done. Though no mention of the negative repercussions.

In all honesty, I doubt that the entry is inaccurate. I am merely hoping that because I never receive any attempt to collect letters, and it is from almost five years ago, that it might not be confirmed in time. I seriously have no idea what the bill could be from, and I am using that reason alone to justify disputing this item!

Unfortunately I have already disputed it with Experian without thinking to get advise first. I know that you are supposed to dispute an entry with all three credit reporting bureaus, but now I am paranoid that it will come back to haunt me!

As always, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time,
Sean C.

If you dispute any debt with the credit bureaus, it will not affect your credit score. Only if the creditors pull out your credit report, there is a hard inquiry in your report which may lower you score. However, if you pull out your credit report by yourself, it is called soft inquiry and there is no impact of soft inquiry in your score. If you want to dispute any outstanding debt listing, the best thing is to first ask for debt validation from the creditor. If the creditor does not validate the debt within 30 days, then you can legally dispute the listing with the bureaus.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 13:02 Permalink

Firstly, since it is already five years you have made no payment towards the debt, your statute of limitation might have expired. If the SOL have expired, then you need not worry as you are not required to pay off the debt. Since, you are not sure about the origin of the debt, you should first ask for debt validation. If the creditors properly validate the debt, you can be sure about the debt. However, before paying off the debt, do not forget to check the statute of Limitation in your state.

Fri, 01/09/2009 - 11:43 Permalink

In regards to to debt validation:
Doesn't the credit reporting bureau acquire debt validation from the creditor following an item's being disputed? So, why would I be required to do so prior to disputing an item?

In regards to the statute of limitations:
As far as I can gather the SOL in my state is four years.

Tue, 01/13/2009 - 05:37 Permalink
David C. (not verified)

Here is my situation: A few years back I went to the doctor complaining of strept throat. The doctor gave me a prescription for it. A week later I went back to the doctor to tell the doctor the prescription did not work. The doctor wrote another prescription, this time the throat infection cleared up. I move and relocate to another state. 2 years later I find out that the doctor had charged me for the 2nd visit (which I did not pay) thinking it was not a visit since the doctor wrote (or suggested) the wrong medicince and that the second time was not technically a "doctor's visit" per se. I move and relocate to another state and 2 years later I am told that my non payment was sent to collections and reported to all 3 CRAs. Should I dispute this with all 3 CRAs or just pay up and ask the doctor of the third party Collection Agency the doctor sold the bill to - to remove this after we settle this account? Please Advise!

Wed, 02/11/2009 - 09:42 Permalink

I am kind of a credit newbie, but here is my take on your sittuation...

First thing you want to do is get "Debt Validation" from the creditor(the collection agency)
If they cannot provide this information within 30 days, then dispute it with the bureaus.
If the creditor does validate the debt, then you want to arrange for a "Pay for Deletion"
You want to do all of this in writing, and keep copies of everything sent and recieved...
There is plenty of information available about "Debt Validation & Pay for Deletion Letters"

Good Luck!
Sean C.

Mon, 02/16/2009 - 04:45 Permalink
lena (not verified)

I moved from nc and now live in ga the statue of limitations has passed on open account the state of ga is trying to sue me for the debt how do i fix that

Wed, 03/25/2009 - 14:52 Permalink

How long has the account been 'open' in GA? If the SOL has past on the debt you're talking about, then the CA's CANNOT come back and do anything to you. If you happened to make some kind of payment BEFORE the SOL has past, then you would have 're-aged' the debt and the SOL starts over again. Is this the case?..if it is, then, YES, the CA CAN come back and sue. Can you let me know the 'details'?

Thu, 03/26/2009 - 01:37 Permalink

Hi Lena
The statute of limitation in North Carolina for open ended accounts is 3 years and in GA it is 4 years. Now, SOL for your debt will apply to the state where your account have been opened the credit account and not where you stay now. Can you tell me whether you are talking about your credit card debt and secondly the state where you have opened the loan account?

Thu, 03/26/2009 - 06:41 Permalink

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let you guys know that I did dispute the negative item I wrote about in the first post on here...
I never requested debt validation, not that I am suggesting for others not to, I just didn't because I was being lazy :D .
Well I disputed it with all three bureaus online and sure enough after the 30-45 day time period it was removed from all three! The deletion brought my scores up 20-30 points for each one.
I am so very happy about this and I wanted to say once again that I am glad I found this website. The information I have found on here has been invaluable!

Thanks again,
Sean C.

Thu, 04/02/2009 - 18:12 Permalink

You can dispute the item directly with the bureaus if you are sure that you do not owe any money to the creditors. But if you owe money and the debt has been sold off to the collection agency, then the bureaus cannot get the CA listing removed from your report before the expiry of seven year period.

Fri, 04/03/2009 - 10:40 Permalink
fatdad (not verified)

New guidelines with the FHA say that all disputes must be removed from the crdedit report before underwriting. You the consumer will have to go to the creditor to have them remove it. That is not sometihing you want to do. So yes, there is a negative affect on your credit for a dispute if the entry is valid. This is if you are applying for a mortgage with the FHA.

Tue, 09/07/2010 - 19:10 Permalink
gipircvkkt (not verified)

Yesterday and baeing The german language Creek Lin came
Inspite of the overcast evening in the event the bad weather any time, this individual were adament on the ride after that, the ultimate 90 mls apart, the street needed 8 and a half hrs. He or she ended up being combined with his / her partner Wu Lin as well as the other the The german language. Just before that, they begin through Yunnan Shangri-La, all the way up over the Yangtze Lake operating, using 4,Thousand mls throughout Sixty six days and nights.
German born participant show his vacation information for your River Lin, the current Some,1000 kilometres experience 4 or 5 occasions 12 months in mere his or her ride in time.

Mon, 03/19/2012 - 20:53 Permalink
Delila (not verified)

I had a credit card over 7 years ago that was given to a collection agency. There has been no contact for the past 2 years. Can I ask that this information be removed from my report

Fri, 07/06/2012 - 20:59 Permalink