Debt validation letter: Sample letter to dispute your debt

Submitted by Laura on Thu, 11/29/2007 - 04:48

What is debt validation?

Debt validation is the debtor's right to ask for validation of a debt a creditor claims he owes. A letter requesting validation of the debt should be sent to the creditor or the collection agency, if they claim that you owe the debt, either by sending a collection letter or by reporting the debt on your credit report.

Debt validation letters (DV letters) should always be sent by certified mail requesting a return receipt or faxed, so that you have proof that you have asked for the debt to be validated if the creditor fails to validate the debt. When you ask for debt validation from a debt collector, they need to provide you with a copy of the original signed contract between you and the original creditor and the account statement showing your outstanding debt. In addition to these two documents, the collection agency must provide you with proof that they have been given the right to collect the debt by the original creditor, or they have purchased the debt from the original creditor.

On receiving the debt validation letter, the creditor or the collection agency must provide you with proper validation within a few days from the date they receive your DV letter. If they fail to validate the debt within this period, then you are no longer liable to pay the debt under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Here is a sample debt validation letter which will help you to ask for debt validation.

Your Name
Your Address

Name of CA
Address of CA

Re: Your Account No:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I checked a copy of my credit report and realized that there was a collection reported from your agency, which I was not notified about. I do not reject to provide with the debt amount. However, this is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b), that your claim is disputed and a validation is demanded. This is asking for proof regarding the debt that I owe and verifying it.
I am requesting you to stop all collection activities including reporting this information on my credit report. I am sure that you are aware of the fact that non-compliance with this request may end up in legal obligations.

Please dispatch copies of the following with your reply:

1. The agreement which authorizes you to collect debt on the assumed debt.
2. The signed agreement from the debtor confirming to pay the debt.
3. The documents regarding the payments made on this account and validation of the amount.

With regards,

Your Signature
Your Name

Hope this helps :)

lizze (not verified)

i have to submitt my written response...any sold my account to dodeka and now they are suing me. Im currently unemployed and the amount i am being sued is nowhere near what i owed chase.

Wed, 01/14/2009 - 20:56 Permalink

Hi lizze
If the creditor has sued you to the court to recover the debt, and you have received a summon for that from the court, you should first file an answer to the summon with the clerk's office in the court from where you have received the summon. Next, you can send a DV letter by certified mail to check whether you actually owe the debt or not to the collection agency. The CA must validate the debt properly in order to claim the debt.

Thu, 01/15/2009 - 09:29 Permalink

That is true, just because they sue you does not mean that they have the right to collect the debt, after you send the answer to the court, you should send the debt validation letter. Send it certified, return receipt requested, if they do not respond you will have proof that you have requested and you can present this proof in court. You can ask them again in court for validation, if they don't present it, you should have a valid win, they have to validate before they can make you pay.

Sat, 01/17/2009 - 05:52 Permalink

Hi Lizze
Since you have already file the response, the next step is to send a debt validation letter. If they cannot validate the debt within the court date, they cannot bring any judgment against you. However, if they can properly validate the debt, I would suggest you to come to a repayment plan and settle the debt outside the court since a judgment in your credit report will lower your credit score. In most cases the amount for which you are sued exceeds the amount you actually owe. This is because of the interest and other payments.

Mon, 01/19/2009 - 13:12 Permalink
girl (not verified)

I owe ballys total fitness and they send it to collection I went through tough times and wasn't able to pay.I called the collection company and made payment arragements few days later I received a summons. Do I respond to court saying we came to an agreement and mail copy of check?
How do I word this summons? Or do I present my self on the court date?

Tue, 01/27/2009 - 15:33 Permalink

Since you have received the summon, the first thing you should do is to file an answer to the summon. If you have already made a payment to the collection agency, then you must have the document which you can produce to the court on the court date as a proof that you no longer owe the debt. But make sure that you file an answer to the summon by visiting the court which has sent you the same, else there may be a default judgment against you and you may be required to pay for the same debt again.

Wed, 01/28/2009 - 11:12 Permalink
kara (not verified)

I think I have a similar problem. I have a 3rd party collection agancy trying to collect $3500.00. Thaey have not sent a summons. Just letters treatening to. Can at this time, I request validation from them and the neccessary steps there after?

Tue, 02/03/2009 - 20:06 Permalink

Hello Kara, Yes you should send a debt validation letter by certified amil as soon as possible. Most times third party collection agencies purchase old debts for pennies on the dollar but do not get enough information or debt validation to be able to legally collect on that debt. This is just one reason why you need to get that debt validation letter out by certified post as soon as possible. If you need help with a letter you can find sample ledtters here at the credit magic forum under letters of credit..right side of your screen under financial tools.

Wed, 02/04/2009 - 02:17 Permalink
kara (not verified)


Thank you sooo much for the info. I have notice in one of the letters they sent, it states that they purchased the account. So as I'am writting this, I'am looking at validation letters now to send out tomorrow. Again, thank you. I'am so happy I found this site.


Wed, 02/04/2009 - 03:42 Permalink

Hi Kara
If they claim to have purchased your account, they must send the proof that they have purchased it from the original creditor along with a copy of the original signed contract between you and the original creditor as a reply to your debt validation letter. The validation must be made within 30 days from the date they receive your letter. Even if they send you summons and sue you to the court to recover the debt, they cannot bring judgment against you unless they properly validate the debt.

Wed, 02/04/2009 - 06:35 Permalink

If they cannot provide you with the documents within 30 days, you can send a second letter telling them that they have violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act and so they should remove the information from your credit report. Make all correspondence with the creditor by certified mail. If they still do not remove the negative info from your report, you can send a dispute letter to the CRA along with the copy of the return receipt that you have received while asking for debt validation and the bureaus will get it removed.

If the collection agency has not listed their name against the debt in your credit report, and at the same time did not validate the debt, you need not pay them. If they sue you to the court, you can produce before the court the copy of the return receipt, and the judgment will go in your favor.

Wed, 02/04/2009 - 06:43 Permalink
kristi (not verified)

my husband just received a letter from a lawyers office stating that he owed a company 1600 dollars and they are going to appear in court on february 25, he received the letter on the 5th of february, but no where on there does it say he has to appear nor does it say summons to appear. we went to the court website and all the info was there, and more. it stated he was sent more of these letters since august of 08 which we never did. we have no clue who this is, what its we go?? according to the info on the court site, those papers that were sent in august through november stated it was through court and we never got it so we never attended. i just don't want anything to happen, and i don't think they gave us alot of time. and aren't they supposed to send it certified mail??
thanks for any help you can give

Sat, 02/07/2009 - 04:24 Permalink

The New Bread of legal organized crime on the American people.

Page 1- Please Read to the end!
In 2008 I received a civil complaint from Oconee county court in South Carolina by Plaintiffs Brock& Scott,, representing a company called Channel Group LLC,(I have never heard of)- the complaint was for a debt. I answered the complaint to the courts and to the plaintiffs with my answer in denial of the debt at the inflated rate stated in the complaint.
I then received a summons to appear in summary court for a summary judgment hearing to be held on 10/06/2008. I appeared in court on 10/06/2008 and filed motions with the court asking for discovery and validation and also verification of debt and that the debt was mine. At the end of the hearing the judge said he needed 30 days to review the case.
On 12/08/2008 I received the judge’s order and decision awarding the collection attorneys the judgment. (Still was waiting on debt verification and validation at this time).
On 12/22/2008 I filled a motion to vacate the judgment with courts of Oconee South Carolina with the main reason to vacate being that I never received an answer on my request for validation and verification of debt as requested in court on 10/06/2008.
I then received a summons to appear in court on 02/02/2009. I appeared in court and made my appeal to the judge stating I never received verification or validation of debt and felt my consumer rights have been violated and respectfully request that the judgment be vacated.
On 02/07/2009 I received the judges ruling. The ruling was that my motion to vacate the judgment was DENIED! , No reason given by the courts – Just Denied!
HELP! - All I was looking for in court is for the law to be upheld. Why do I feel the courts just stripped me of any rights I might have had?
Times are tuff for a lot of Americans and I am no exception. My family and I are just barely making ends meet. If I could have afforded a lawyer on this case, I would have, but that is just out of my financial reach.
I plead and request as a very humbled citizen of the United States for the help of this agency FTC.
Jessie James – New Bread!

Special Note:
Page 2 consists of my thoughts on the only court appearances I have ever had in my life.

Page 2

It appears not only the bottom feeding lawyers that are buying junk debts for pennies on the dollar, are making a huge,, HUGE,, profit,, but the state of South Carolina courts and the judges are cashing in on this profit as well!!
(Reason) My federal rights under the FDCPA act were not, even considered in the case and that, I as Prose, may have not filed the proper court paper work even though I stated in all motions entered that I have not been schooled in the procedures of law. It appears that the judge’s decision was bias in both court appearances. (Bias) meaning – to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective, ideology or result, especially when the tendency interferes with the ability to be impartial, unprejudiced, or objective.
This Bias decision goes far beyond the constitutional founding rights of every American in this country and the oath sworn in by every South Carolina Judge and all other state judges nationwide.
We as Americans have the constitutional right to defend ourselves with a jury of our pears.
(I have yet in this case –to have my constitutional right observed) but a bias judgment ruling twice has been made. Since there were no reasons on each ruling given to the defendant, I take the rulings to be strictly a bias opinion of the judge on each of the rulings. (*Ref.)
(* The defendant –as Prose has not been schooled in the art of law and must be given respect as such.)
In both of my court appearances, as I was leaving the court, the plaintiffs’ lawyer was called to the bench of the presiding judge without my witness of the derogatory conversation given. I can only suspect and assume that there was a hidden agenda transpiring about my case without my knowledge and approval. This is, in my (the defendants perspective) this type of actions should not be allowed by courts and state officials. Derogatories at the bench from the Judge should include both parties without question.

I have always been a law abiding citizen of the United States and of the state I live in. Never have I been convicted or accused of any crime nor have I ever considered being a part of a crime.

After going through the above legal system process, and with the legal thieves winning, and after I have offered full payment of the original principle amount but only being denied!!!! .
After 43 years of my life, I really think after all this, and allowing the legal organized crime bosses to legally steal inflated amount of debt. I am really considering being the next Jessie James of modern times. Why Not – It has become legal to steal inflated debt from hard working Americans that have fallen on hard times – But have tried to pay and willing to pay what they can but is rejected because judgment interest is more profitable when the legal mafia decides to collect.

I have filed a Federal complaint against the state and the legal organized crime lawyers feeding on the misfortune of middle to low class Americans that are really trying to make a life for their family.
This is a true shame of our nations Lawyers that have had the fortune to acquire a law degree to feed on the misfortune of others. Help and understanding is the true law of freedom in this land of the free and brave. The criminal organized lawyers resorting to this torture of the humane US citizens should be barred for life from practicing any form of law- period.

We the FTC have received your complaint.
Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered in a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide. Your reference number is Jessie James (the new bread) fighting for the hard working people of America.
Here are links to the publications you may find useful:


If you want to update your information or have any questions, please call our Consumer Response Center, 1-877-FTC-HELP. Keep your reference number handy.

Wed, 02/11/2009 - 04:48 Permalink

Summons are to be answered within the time mentioned on the summon itself and there is no provision to ask for more time to answer a summon. If you do not get time to visit the court and file an answer, you can appoint an attorney who will file it on your behalf. If you do not file the response the creditor can bring default judgment against you.

Sat, 02/14/2009 - 12:57 Permalink
tonijo (not verified)

I sent the dispute letter and they replied that they do not have records of my account, and requested a credit report. What kind of letter should I send with it?

Wed, 03/04/2009 - 16:52 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

Hi tonijo
If you have disputed the debt with the creditor and they cannot find records of your account, you can send a copy of the credit report and ask them to remove their name from your report if they cannot validate the debt. If they do not remove the listing from your report, send dispute letters to the bureaus along with a copy of the letter you have received from the creditor telling them to remove the listing from your report because you do not agree with the debt.

Thu, 03/05/2009 - 07:10 Permalink
kara (not verified)

I sent a vd letter to a company and they have responded back.They sent 5 old statements from chase showing the the info.On thier cover letter they show interest calculated from last payment @24%. I asked them to show that they can collect in my state and they noted in the cover letter for me to look it up. I also requested SOL in my state and that I agreed to pay this amount. They did not provide this to me. I'am very worried that they will file suit. They did not provide what I asked them too.Or did they and I just don't understand?

Tue, 03/10/2009 - 00:23 Permalink

Hi Kara
Can you tell me the State where you have signed the agreement and the date of your last payment towards the debt so that I can tell you whether the Statute of Limitation on the debt has expired or not?
The Collection agency is not liable to tell you whether the SOL has expired or not as a reply to your debt validation request. Moreover, just sending the outstanding bills is not a proper debt validation. The Collection Agency must send you the proof the they have purchased the debt from the OC and a copy of the original signed contract between you and the original creditor.

Tue, 03/10/2009 - 05:25 Permalink
Kara (not verified)

The state that I live is California. The last day that I made a payment on one off the chase statements was 06'. I can't be sure though. The statements that they send me are not consistant. So what they sent to me was not correct? They did not sent anything showing that they purshased the acct or my original signed contract. But I also did not ask for that! Is that just a standard thing that they have to provide. Thank you for your help. And also, The collection agency is in seattle.

Tue, 03/10/2009 - 13:31 Permalink
GAfootballmom (not verified)

My mortgage has been sold more than 2 times since I bought my house in 2004. My current servicing company sent me a demand letter. I responded within the 30 days via facsimile and certified mail asking for validation of the debt and disputing the amount owed. That was on January 15, 2009. They never responded to my request nor did they call me -- until today. Now all of a sudden, they want me to enter into a forbearance agreement

Wed, 03/11/2009 - 17:32 Permalink
GAfootballmom (not verified)

sorry-- I hit the wrong button...

The rep that called me needs me to enter into a forbearance agreement TODAY. However, when I asked why I never received validation of the loan, she sighed and then said "i thought they sent something out to you" and totally changed the subject.

My question is this -- if they didn't respond within the 30 days, is there something I can do?

Wed, 03/11/2009 - 17:34 Permalink

If your current owner of the debt does not validate the debt within 30 days of receipt of your debt validation letter, you are not responsible to them for the debt. You can come to a forbearance agreement only if you are sure that you owe the debt to the creditor. Forbearance agreement is an agreement between the creditor and the lender where the creditor agrees not to exercise any legal right if the borrower makes his/ her account current within a certain period of time.

Thu, 03/12/2009 - 08:59 Permalink
jenn (not verified)

ok, so I was served a summons by a collector. My original debt is obviously not through them. I know I have to respond, but the paperwork I picked up at the Courthouse is confusing. I can deny the claim, but what do I do then? I have have 3 more days to respond to the summons. This is literally bringing me to my knees. I thought I am suppose to answer their accusations as well. So how can a I deny the debt and answer the accusations?

Mon, 03/16/2009 - 17:40 Permalink

As far as I know, you need to either agree or disagree to the debt for which the creditor has sued your to the court. These is also an option on the response sheet where you can give reasons as to why you disagree to the debt. After filing the response, you will get a court date where you will get the scope to defend yourself. Just file the response within 30 days else the creditor can bring a default judgment against you.

Tue, 03/17/2009 - 05:52 Permalink
kara (not verified)

Hi Carol,

I just wanted to touch base with you and see if you can help me. What step do I take next? Do I send another letter asking for the purchase agreement and the contract between my and the original creditor? Thank you so much for your help.


Sat, 03/21/2009 - 03:14 Permalink

If the creditor do not properly validate the debt within 30 days from the date of receipt of your debt validation letter, you can send a second letter telling them that they have violated the provisions under the Fair debt Collection Practices Act by not validating the debt properly and so they should immediately remove the negative item from the credit report.

Tue, 03/24/2009 - 03:36 Permalink

If you think that you have been a victim of identity theft, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission online and become a registered victim of identity theft and update it by calling FTC at 1-877-438-4338. Next you should file a complaint with the local police station by submitting a copy of your online complaint and your identity proof.

Wed, 03/25/2009 - 06:13 Permalink
Randy (not verified)

A collection agency in Arizona has been seeking to collect a debt ($500 approx.) they say my son, a U of A student, owes to a property management company. I sent a return receipt letter requesting validation of debt and an itemized bill. Collection agency responded with a copy of a lease agreement he HADN'T signed--his roommates signed it prior to his arrival--and a bill stating, "Amount Referred" and "Other Charges"--the collection fee, which was 35%. So, although they told me what my son owes, they didn't identify what they're charging him for; and, without a contract signed by my son, they don't seem to have validated his debt (or the right to charge a collection fee). In situations like this, do collection agencies "fish," hoping someone will pay? Or do they follow through by reporting the debt to credit reporting agencies? If they do, are they vulnerable to penalties?

Wed, 03/25/2009 - 21:48 Permalink

"I disdain unfair practices where one, or a handful of lawyers or law firms, use their power to manipulate the law to their advantage monatarily ." Without question this is Unethical !
"Shane McGuirt"
Samuel Shane McGuirt

Sun, 03/29/2009 - 23:35 Permalink

If your son has not signed the loan agreement papers, then he cannot be held responsible for the debt. It may be a proper debt validation, but if he has not signed, he is not liable to pay them off. You should keep the papers send by them safely for future reference. Moreover, if they harass you further for the debt, you should file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission.

Mon, 03/30/2009 - 07:13 Permalink
anna (not verified)

I have been summoned and it says to appear, do I need to go or just send the answer, it says from the original credit company and it has come from a lawyer, I want to also know, can i ask for validation of debt


Fri, 04/10/2009 - 01:48 Permalink
rAY oGDEN (not verified)


Fri, 04/10/2009 - 06:12 Permalink

Hi Naureen
Yes, you can definitely ask for validation of the debt, but first of all you should visit the court that issued you the summon and file a response with the clerk's office within the date mentioned on the summon, else the creditor may bring a default judgment against you to recover the debt. However, if you receive the response from the court along with the summon, you can definitely fill up the response form and sent it by certified mail with return receipt.

Fri, 04/10/2009 - 06:48 Permalink

Hi Ray
You are liable to pay the amount you still owe after your car has been sold. However, if you do not pay it off, the creditor can sue you and bring judgment against you to recover the debt. Now since you live on social security and ss benefit cannot be garnished, they may not recover the debt, but the judgment in your report will affect your credit score and you may not qualify for a second auto loan.

Fri, 04/10/2009 - 09:22 Permalink
naureen (not verified)

Thankyou for thr reply to my earlier question, I went yesterday to the court and got the form, I asked the clerk she said I had 20 days after beeing served, even though on the summon it says within ten days, I mentioned what it says on the summon, but she says it is always 20 days, now I am in a dilema as to do it within ten days or 20 days, either way I know I have to answer, but I want to prepare for best defence.

Sat, 04/11/2009 - 16:07 Permalink
anna (not verified)

I plan to send the answer to the summon, I want to follow it up with the letter of credit validation, my question is should I send it to the lawyer who sent me the summon or the credit card company and what should I expect a letter from the court for the date of hearing

Mon, 04/13/2009 - 01:35 Permalink

You should send the debt validation letter to the plaintiff who has send you the summon. If you have received the summon from the lawyer, you need to send the debt validation letter to the lawyer and not to the creditor. However before you send the DV letter by certified mail, you should file an answer to the summon with the date as mentioned on the summon, else the creditor may bring a default judgment against you.

Mon, 04/13/2009 - 06:07 Permalink
anna (not verified)

Thankyou Carol for the answer, i want to ask a little more .Is it the lawyer who is suing me or the credit card company, because the plaintiff is the lawyer, because some credit card companies sell their credit to lawyers

Mon, 04/13/2009 - 13:57 Permalink

The original creditor may either sell off the debt to the law firm or have authorized the law firm to collect the debt on their behalf. In either case, the law firm is the plaintiff as they have filed a lawsuit against you. But in you case I think that the creditor has only authorized the law firm to collect the debt.

Tue, 04/14/2009 - 08:00 Permalink
anna (not verified)

I just waent to court and got the paper work done for answering the summon, the court clerk told me that I would be getting a court date in the mail, me question is how long does it take for a court date approxiamtely and should I in the meanwhile ask for a credit validation letter, and what other defence tactics should I do to fight my case, please do answer as I want to start to work on it right away.

Tue, 04/14/2009 - 18:01 Permalink

It may take even two to three months to get a court date. However, after you get a court date, you should present yourself to the court to defend your case, else a default judgment may be passed against you. In the meanwhile, you can send a debt validation letter by certified mail and wait for their response.

Wed, 04/15/2009 - 08:50 Permalink
anna (not verified)

Thankyou Carol for your answer, ,now that I have sent the papers it is getting on my nerves as to how to defend myself. Just wanted to ask on court date how does the judge perceive your case, are they sympathetic or rigid with the defendant and if god forbid you can't defend well and it goes the other way, do they settle for less and make micro installments, what should I expect, till the court date, what preparation should I do and can a person without a lwayer defend well and win do let me know

Thu, 04/16/2009 - 01:17 Permalink

As far as I know, the court only gives judgment and does not play any role in the process of debt recovery. If the judgment goes against your favor, you need to pay the judgment money and the creditor can recover the same either by garnishing your bank account or your wage. However, before they start the process of garnishment, you can negotiate with the creditor for a repayment plan and pay it off.

Thu, 04/16/2009 - 05:57 Permalink
Hellofamess (not verified)

Debt validation or validate which one do you ask from the CA and will this 50/50 go ahead and they tried to sue you?... Please advise and show me the way....

Thu, 04/30/2009 - 01:05 Permalink

Hi Hellofamess
When you ask for debt validation from the creditor or the collection agency, the creditor generally requires you to validate the debt before they continue the process of debt collection. Unless they validate the debt properly, they cannot sue you to the court to recover the debt. You need to send a debt validation letter by certified mail to the creditor. For sample debt validation letters, you can visit the link letters of credit.

Thu, 04/30/2009 - 05:41 Permalink