Pay for delete letter: Negotiate to remove negative listing

Submitted by Laura on Fri, 02/08/2008 - 06:27

What is a Pay for delete letter?

A Pay for delete agreement is normally made with the original creditor or a collection agency (CA) to remove an outstanding debt listing from your credit report.

If the name of the creditor or the CA gets listed in your credit report with a particular debt, you should first ask for debt validation by sending a Debt Validation (DV) letter to the creditor. Once your debt gets validated by the creditor, you need to send a Pay for delete letter.

A Pay for delete letter is sent as part of your negotiations with your creditor for a repayment plan to pay off your outstanding debt. If the creditor agrees to a Pay for deletion agreement, the negative listing gets removed from your credit report once the debt has been repaid in full. You should always get the Pay for delete agreement in writing so you have proof that the creditor agreed to delete the negative listing from your report, if they refuse to remove the negative item from your report after you pay off the debt.

Sample Pay for delete letter/Pay for deletion letter

Name of Collection Agency
Address of collection agency

Re: Collection Account for Original Creditor Account Number
Amount: $50.00

Dear Sir or Madam,

This is for your information that I am disputing validity of the debt referred to above. I am not aware of the account number and you have not informed me of the existence of this account.

I am willing to pay this account IN FULL (or a settlement percentage, whichever is feasible) if you agree to immediately delete the account from the credit reporting agencies (namely Equifax, TransUnion and Experian) that you have reported to, and validated this account. My sole purpose is to get this item removed from my file. This letter should not be interpreted as recognition of the debt or acknowledgment of liability for the debt.

If you accept the terms of this agreement, the certified amount of $50 will be sent to your collection agency provided there is complete deletion of any reference to the debt from my file on all the credit bureaus that you have reported to, and the debt is validated. As the full amount demanded will be paid back, there should not be any waiting period to delete this item from the reporting bureaus.

Your agency should delete all information regarding the account from my credit files within 10 business days from the receipt of the payment, as mentioned in this agreement. The terms of this agreement will not be discussed with anyone but the original creditor. No third party will be informed if contacted and no acknowledgment of the debt, any kind of payment, or settlement will be discussed if I am contacted by the Reporting Agencies.

Following the acceptance of the agreement, please prepare a letter on your company letter head unambiguously agreeing to the aforementioned terms and conditions and have it signed by your agency's authorized signatory. This letter will imply a legal contract, enforceable under my state law.

If I do not receive an approval letter within 15 days of your receipt of this letter, I will withdraw this offer.

Please communicate regarding this account to the address mentioned below.

Your Name
Your Address
State Zip Code

MH (not verified)

My sister got four credit cards in my name, charged them up and failed to pay them off a couple of years ago. I recently found out about this. After talking with the creditors I discovered that I couldn't have them removed unless I pressed charges against her...which I'm unwilling to do.

Luckily, the balance on these cards are all low. The highest amount is around $550. I'm wanting to try the delete for pay letter. My question is this. The four credit card companies are listed on my credit report. Two of them have a status of "charge off" and have a $0 balance. One lists "charge off" and shows a $371 balance. The other status says "120+ Days past due" and lists a $0 balance. There are also 3 collection agency accounts listed.

I'm just trying to figure out who I need to send the letters to. Should I send them to all 4 credit card issuers and the collection agencies?

Sorry for the long message. Thanks in advance.

Tue, 04/27/2010 - 20:17 Permalink

Hi all,

"Pay for delete" (PFD) letter is used to request the creditor or collection agency to report your account as "Paid" and remove all the negative listings on this account from your report. However, all creditors or collection agencies do not agree to a PFD request.

PFD letter is sent before you start making your payments after a delinquency. Send the letter through certified mail, requesting a return receipt.

As for printing the letter you can copy this letter and paste it in a word file, and then click on the print option to get a print of the letter.



Wed, 05/12/2010 - 09:58 Permalink
NJ (not verified)

I sent a letter to pay for deletion to a collection agency over a month ago and I haven't heard anything. Do you have a sample letter I could send them withdrawing the offer? Or should I resend the same letter?

Sat, 05/15/2010 - 14:59 Permalink
Neesy (not verified)

Had a vehicle from Drive Time years ago. Didnt finish paying for the car, but still have the car in my possession. I would like advice on how to negotiate with them to remove the negative entry and obtain the pink slip. Its an old debt, and older car, so dont think they want the car back. What do you recommend?

Thu, 05/20/2010 - 04:18 Permalink

Hi Neesy,

First check the Statute of limitations on this debt. Statute of Limitations (SOL) is the time limit within which the lender can sue you for not paying the money. However, if the SOL expires the lender won't be able to win a judgment against you.

However, if you think that you have the ability to make the payment, you can contact the lender and try to negotiate a repayment plan with him. Get the agreement in writing. Request him to agree to a "Pay for delete" (PFD) agreement. With the PFD all the negatives on your account will get removed.



Thu, 05/20/2010 - 11:41 Permalink
sandra (not verified)

I was wandering if you had more than one bill at the same agency, If you have to have one letter for each item or can you send one letter for all.

Fri, 05/21/2010 - 15:59 Permalink


You can send a single Pay for delete letter for all the bills that you owe to a single company. However if there are too many, you may send in two three letters.



Mon, 05/24/2010 - 11:31 Permalink
Anthea Campbell (not verified)

Hi Carol,
Firstly I would like to thank you for the imformation in regardes to the deletion letter.
The problem for me is that I have already Settled all outstanding balances on all the credit accounts I have/had, So what sort of letter do you think I could send requesting the deletion.
As I do not owe any money to them, will they still be intrested in making an agreement with me?
many thanx

Tue, 05/25/2010 - 21:47 Permalink

Hi AntheaCampbell,

As you have already paid the dues, I don't think the creditor or the collection agencies will want to work with you anymore regarding removing the negatives from your account. Still, you can try by sending them a "Pay for delete" letter through certified mail, requesting a return receipt.



Wed, 05/26/2010 - 11:55 Permalink

I sent in my PFD letter over a month ago and didn't receive a response. Should I resend the letter or call and try to negotiate over the phone but just get any proof in writing?

If it makes any difference, I have 2 accounts I would like to PFD, one with Midland Credit Management and one with Secuirty Credit Systems.


Tue, 06/01/2010 - 18:52 Permalink

Hi mharmon,

Can you tell whether or not you have sent this "Pay for Delete" (PFD) letter through certified mail, requesting a return receipt (CMRRR)? However, you can try sending another PFD letter through CMRRR. If you want you can use the sample PFD letter available with this community.

With the CMRRR, you will get back the return receipt, proof that they have received the letter. If they still do not answer to this, you can try to talk to them over the phone. However, get the agreement in writing.



Wed, 06/02/2010 - 09:50 Permalink

I have a vehicle reposed in 2006. Since that time the original creditor has the account listed on my report has reposed/ closed. They have not sold my account to a collector, or at least one as not contacted me or is showing on my report. I think the sol might be up on this..But it is confusing because i live and bought the vehicle in texas but the company is out of Illinois. I am just wondering if i should try a pay for delete with them, or would i be opening myself back up for legal action, and if they accept a pay for delete any ideas on how much that might improve my score

Wed, 06/02/2010 - 13:34 Permalink

Hi Bigstan,

Definitely paying off this debt will help in increasing the credit score. Negotiate with the lender about the payment plan, and the "Pay for delete" (PFD) agreement. Get these agreements in writing.

You will get a sample pay for delete letter with this community, which you can use to write one of your own. You just need to change the texting according to your circumstances.

Make the payments, and after sometime check your credit report for the updated account status. If you find that the account status hasn't been updated, you can file a dispute with the credit bureaus. Use the agreements as proof.

Paying off the repossession may not increase your score much, but a paid account status is much better than unpaid status. The repossession will remain on your credit report for 7 years until removed by PFD.



Thu, 06/03/2010 - 09:55 Permalink
lukystarz (not verified)

if I have paid a collection debt in full can it be removed from my credit report before 7 years

Thu, 06/03/2010 - 17:19 Permalink

Hi Lukystarz,

If you have paid a collection debt in full, and have not negotiated with the collection agency to remove the negative from your credit report during the payment, then removing the negative now can be difficult. As you have already paid the collection agency, they may not want to work with you anymore regrading this debt.

However, you can still try your luck by sending the collection agency a "Pay for delete letter" through certified mail, requesting a return receipt.



Fri, 06/04/2010 - 09:45 Permalink

Hi booker,

You will get a sample "Pay for delete" letter with this community itself. You can use it to write one of your own. You simply need to change the texting of this letter according to your situation.



Tue, 06/08/2010 - 10:04 Permalink
ACe (not verified)

I had a house fire 1 year ago and literally my financial situation fell apart. I ended up settling 2 of my accounts and then later learned I could request for pay for delete. Well one account I just didnt have the money at the time to pay. It is not with a collectin agency/attorneys office in Illinois. I spoke with them and they did agree to take a settlement in one full payment but stated they could not delete the information from my credit report. ie xplained I wanted it to show paid in full or deleted and they won't budge. They said they were not allowed to do that and couldnt. They said they can show it as paid in settlement or paid with a zero balance but show settled. Any thoughts? I have the agreement amount that they are willing to take. Thanks!

Thu, 06/10/2010 - 00:39 Permalink


If you are making payments in full then they should report the account as "Paid in full". Send in a "Pay for delete" letter requesting this, through certified mail, requesting a return receipt. Mention about making the payments in full. Now, if they don't agree to this, you can file a complaint with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.



Thu, 06/10/2010 - 11:30 Permalink

Aaron is right, make sure you get everything in writing so that you have proof later.

Thu, 06/10/2010 - 11:32 Permalink

any updates from the poster, sure would like to know how things are going?

Sun, 06/20/2010 - 04:44 Permalink

Good point all in getting the proof. you also need to hold onto any documentations for years. I have said before and community members who have been around here for a while can also many times we see where people pay off debts and then a creditor or collection agency comes back to recollect. With out proof you may end up repaying a past debt.

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 02:27 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

What is sample letter that the account has already been paid and to inform to the collection department in the company?

Tue, 06/29/2010 - 07:54 Permalink
Trevor Jackson (not verified)

What is registered post. you made this statement.

Whenever you send a letter of deletion for negotiating for pay for deletion agreement, you should always do it by registered post. This is because you need to have a proof that the creditor has agreed to your pay for delete letter which you will require if they do not remove the debt from your report once you pay off the debt in full.

Wed, 06/30/2010 - 04:50 Permalink
Sharon Little (not verified)

Hello Carol, I made a setlement with Capital One a few years back. However, some one called me from a collections agency. I immediately called Capital One about the matter just a few days ago. The representative reminded of the settlement but stated that I still have a balance of $604.00. Yes, the settlement was correct but the account on file should say account closed but agreed to a settlement which was paid. What should I do? Should I send a pay for delete letter to capital one? [mail id removed as per forum rules]

Wed, 07/07/2010 - 15:42 Permalink
Barbara_Elena (not verified)

After you are through with debt settlement all your unsecured debts are eliminated. Whatever lump some money is decided upon between you and your creditor, is accepted as payment in full.
So, you don’t have to pay your remaining debt, if you don’t want to.
Send a pay for delete letter and ask the collection agency to remove all the information regarding this debt.

Fri, 07/09/2010 - 11:02 Permalink
Neil (not verified)

Hi Carol,

I received a credit card bill in November 2009, but I was out of the country and didn't have internet access to pay it. When I came back in Jan'10 I saw that my account wasn't working. So I called my credit card company and asked them about it. They told me that I didn't pay the bill, so its blocked. I paid the amount in full (just $40) and thought it would not be on my account. But recently when I was applying for an auto-loan it was denied because of the adverse account in my history.

I called my back asking about taking it off, but they replied back saying it wasn't an error on their end and that everything on file is valid/correct.

I have called the 3 credit bureaus asking them to taking it out and they said they will be sending a request to the credit card company on my behalf.

I just came across this post while searching for options and was wondering if I could still send a PFD to get it out of my account. I can prove that I have $30k cash in my back sitting idle and that I didn't pay because I didn't have money.

Please advise as to whats the best I can get out of this and how.

Many thanks!

Sun, 07/11/2010 - 21:46 Permalink

Hi Neil,

"Pay for delete" agreement is actually made before making the payments. Once the dues are paid, the creditor or colelction agencies generally don't bother to work out such problems anymore. You have already tried to dispute. If this does not work out, you can send a goodwill letter to the creditor. Sometimes goodwill letter works out.



Mon, 07/12/2010 - 11:30 Permalink
Neil (not verified)

Thanks Aaron for your advise. However, the link you sent isn't opening. Is there another working link that you can point me to?


Wed, 07/14/2010 - 04:25 Permalink

Hi Neil,

You are welcome :) As for the link, it opened when I tried. There could have been server problem with that particular site. However, you can try once more.



Wed, 07/14/2010 - 11:14 Permalink
Ericka (not verified)

I have paid my Edgars account in full 2008, but lost proof of payment when we moved. Now I'm blacklisted and requested several times a itemized account but only receive calls and threats. I want my credit record cleared even if I have to pay the account again. Can I use this sample to get them to clear my record after payment?

Tue, 07/20/2010 - 15:57 Permalink
BEERMAN (not verified)

I recently applied for a Car Loan with my Credit Union and was surprised that a Collection Item appeared on My Report from AFNI INC. which I was not Aware of. I called AFNI and I explained that I had not received any notices from them which he stated was mailed ou June 3,2010 this just appeared on July 6,2010 which is the only negative I have on my report. I was very amazed that 1 Collection item could bring my Score down 84 points. I just had refinanced my vehicle in Apriland my Score was 716 and now it has dropped to 632 with this item on my report. I spoke with a representative and expained that I was willing to pay even though I disagree with oweing Dish Network because they were suppose to cancel that account back in Feb 2009. Well the representative said their Company policy will not take a collection item off that I could pay but that it would be on my Credit until 2016. I think this is terrible just for 56.00 my credit is damaged . He was very adimate about deleting it from my credit even when I agreed to pay the 56.00 that I disagree about.

Wed, 07/21/2010 - 00:10 Permalink
Shamzami (not verified)


What is the success rate for people who take the time to write these letters in getting the items removed from their profile? Also, I showed a couple of late payments on my car payment history that were a direct result of a new loan for the car, what's the best way to get those removed? Love your site, thanks!

Wed, 07/21/2010 - 18:08 Permalink

Hi Ericka:

Can I use this sample to get them to clear my record after payment?

Yes you can do that but make the "Pay for Delete" agreement before making the payments. Get the agreement in writing.


You should send AFNI a debt validation letter through certified mail, requesting a return receipt. You will get sample debt validation letter with this community.


What is the success rate for people who take the time to write these letters in getting the items removed from their profile?

This depends on the creditor or the collection agency, and may be your luck :)

You will have to make payment agreements with the creditors or collection agencies. Before making the payments you will have to request the creditor, or colelction agnecy to agree to the "Pay for delete" agreement.



Tue, 07/27/2010 - 11:39 Permalink

Hi Danny,

Creditors don't generally agree to settle amounts less than 10,000.



Thu, 08/05/2010 - 11:14 Permalink

Hi steven,

As far as I understand from your query, you are delinquent on your mortgage payments. Thus, this account is getting reported negatively. The negatives will stay on your credit report for 7 years.



Fri, 08/06/2010 - 11:26 Permalink
HisGirl1268 (not verified)

I what this told by Zales a deletion of record is not possible. Is this such and if it is can you provide me with a link.
Thank you

Thu, 08/12/2010 - 00:37 Permalink

Hi HisGirl,

Deletion of a negative item is possible through "Pay for delete" (PFD) agreement. However, PFD is possible only if you pay off the debt. However, not all creditors and collection agencies agree to PFD.

You can refer the PFD letter for more details.



Thu, 08/12/2010 - 11:54 Permalink

I have about five debts from unpaid bills totaling around $600. All these are from about 5 years ago, and I really want them off my credit. So do I understand the way to do this right is:

1) Send a PTD letter
2) If they don't agree, ask for validation
3) If they validate it, then should I pay?

If I pay off the debt now, will it reset the 7 year timer before the negative actions fall off? Would it be better just to wait it out at this point if they decline the PTD? Nobody is willing to give me a credit card or loan with open accounts, but I certainly don't want to reset them at this point.

Sun, 08/15/2010 - 17:58 Permalink

Hi Sweetpea,

Welcome to this community :)

1) Send a PTD letter
2) If they don't agree, ask for validation
3) If they validate it, then should I pay?

No this is not the right process. Validation should come first. Without knowing if the debt is at all valid, you should never offer "Pay for delete". Moreover there is no such rule that requires the creditor or collection agency to agree to PFD. Not all creditors and collection agencies agree to PFD.

If you pay off the debt. yes the 7 year clock on reporting will restart. However, if the collection agency agree to PFD then the negatives will get removed. If the PFD does not happen then too paid account is much better than an unpaid one. Also with time the negative impact will lessen.



Mon, 08/16/2010 - 10:12 Permalink
teal (not verified)

Nice post ..It is really helpful..

Mon, 08/23/2010 - 11:18 Permalink


I was served with a Summons which I have to file an answer. It is my debt and I am in the process of securing the funds to repay the debt in whole.

I would like to do what is necessary to have the case dismissed or whatever to do the least amount of impact to my credit.

I am in Delaware county in Ohio.

I understand that I have to file the answer.. I'm just not sure what it needs to include.

Mon, 08/23/2010 - 16:17 Permalink