Submitted by gary on Tue, 09/09/2008 - 15:46

who do i complain to about a nuisance debt collection agency

Hi Gary
If the debt collection agency asks you to repay a debt, you should send a DV letter by certified mail. If they validate the debt and you accept the validation, you should pay it off as soon as possible because if they report the debt to the credit bureaus and the debt gets listed in your credit report, it will stay there for seven years and lower your score. However, if they do not validate the debt, but still ask you to repay it off, you should send a cease and desist letter to the collection agency which will stop them from harassing you.

Wed, 09/10/2008 - 11:27 Permalink

Yes, you should consult a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter. Once you send a C and D letter, the collection agency may move the debt account to legal status. But the most important thing which you should know before sending a cease and desist letter is that, this letter may insist them to bring legal suit against you immediately. So you should send this cease and desist letter only if they do not validate the debt within 30 days from the date of receipt of the letter. You should also make a complain against them to the state AGs office and the FTC.

Wed, 09/10/2008 - 11:55 Permalink